AAUW International Fellowships are highly competitive scholarships awarded to women who are not United States citizens or permanent residents. These fellowships are awarded to support women’s education and to encourage women to pursue their academic goals. AAUW International Fellowships are open to women pursuing undergraduate or postgraduate degrees in any field of study at accredited institutions.
To be eligible for the AAUW International Fellowship, applicants must meet the following requirements:
- Be female and not a citizen of the United States or a permanent resident
- Have an academic degree equivalent to a United States bachelor’s degree
- Intend to devote herself full-time to the proposed academic plan during the fellowship year
- Intend to return to her home country to pursue a professional career
- Be proficient in English
To be eligible for AAU International Fellowships for Graduate and Postgraduate Students, applicants are expected to meet the following conditions:
- Have citizenship in a country other than the U.S. or possession of a non-immigrant visa if residing in the U.S. Women who are currently, or expect to be during the fellowship year, a U.S. citizen, U.S. permanent resident, or dual citizen with the U.S. and another country are not eligible.
- Hold an academic degree (earned in the U.S. or abroad) equivalent to a U.S. bachelor’s degree completed by November 15, 2022.
- Intend to devote themselves full-time to the proposed academic plan during the fellowship year.
- Intend to return to their home country to pursue a professional career and upon completion of their studies.
- Be proficient in English and confirm proficiency by submitting one of the Required Components (see below), which include certain English proficiency exams, transcripts from English-speaking institutions, or a written statement verifying English is the applicant’s native language. Applicants planning to take one of the accepted English proficiency exams should plan for and take the test as early as possible. Please direct questions about the tests to the test provider.
- Master’s/first professional degree and doctoral applicants must have applied by November 15, 2023, to an accredited institution of study for the period of the fellowship year and must indicate the name of the institution in the International Fellowship application. While acceptance is not required at the time of application, fellows must provide official confirmation from the institution with their award acceptance materials.
- Master’s/first professional degree fellowships are intended for master’s or professional degree-level programs such as J.D., M.F.A., L.L.M., M.Arch., or medical degrees such as M.D., D.D.S., etc. Certificates, associate degrees, and undergraduate degrees are ineligible.
- Doctoral fellowships are intended for doctorate degrees classified as research degrees, such as Ph.D. or Ed.D.
- Postdoctoral applicants must provide proof of their doctorate degree; hold a doctorate classified as a research degree (e.g., Ph.D., Ed.D., D.B.A., D.M.) or an M.F.A. by November 15, 2023; and indicate where they will conduct their research.
- Master’s/first professional degree and doctoral applicants must be enrolled in a U.S. accredited institution located in the U.S. during the fellowship year.
- A limited number of awards are available to Graduate Women International members for study or research in any country other than their own. Note that foreign branches of U.S. institutions are considered outside of the U.S.
- Applicants can apply for the fellowship for any year of their program but must be conducting a full year of study or research. International Fellowships do not provide funding for a partial year of study or research. Programs ending prior to April of the fellowship year are not eligible.
More scholarship opportunities are ongoing in countries across the world. Check out some selected opportunities below;
The application for the AAUW International Fellowship includes several components:
- Online application
- Personal statement
- Letters of recommendation
- Proof of highest degree
- Proof of English proficiency
AAUW International Fellowships provide financial support for one academic year of full-time study or research in the United States. The fellowship includes:
- Living expenses
- Travel expenses to and from the United States
- Health insurance
- Books and supplies
- Tuition and fees (if applicable)
Fellowship recipients will also have the opportunity to participate in professional development activities and network with other scholars and professionals in their field.
Scholarship Duration and Reward
Applicants for AAU International Fellowships for Graduate and Postgraduate Students will receive the following fellowship funds:
- Master’s/first professional degree: $20,000
- Doctoral: $25,000
- Postdoctoral: $50,000
- Educational expenses
- Living expenses
- Dependent child care
- Travel to professional meetings, conferences or seminars that does not exceed 10% of the fellowship total.
Click here to join our social media platforms for new updates
The panel meets once a year to review applications for funding. Awards are based on the criteria outlined here. Recommendations by the panel are subject to final approval by AAUW. Fellowships are awarded on a competitive basis according to funds available in a given fiscal year.
To ensure a fair review process, AAUW does not comment on the deliberations of its award panels. AAUW does not provide evaluations of applications. No provisions exist for reconsideration of fellowship proposals. Applications and supporting documents become the sole property of AAUW and will neither be returned nor held for another year.
- Applicants residing in their home country at time of application, from developing/emerging countries, or from an underrepresented group in any region, will receive special consideration.
- Position on return to home country.
- Academic and/or professional qualifications.
- Demonstrated commitment to the advancement of women and girls in home country.
- Proposed time schedule.
- Quality and feasibility of proposed plan of study or research.
- Demonstrated evidence of prior community and/or civic service in home country.
- Applicant’s country’s need for the specialized knowledge or skill.
- Financial need.
- Motivation for graduate study or research.
Method of Application
Interested and eligible applicants for AAU International Fellowships for Graduate and Postgraduate Students should fill and submit application online for the fellowship program.
For questions or technical support from ISTS, our technical consultant, please email email@example.com. Enter AAUW-IF if the website prompts you for a program key. We encourage applicants not to opt out of communications from ISTS, to ensure you receive important communications from AAUW.
- November 15, 2022, by 11:59 p.m. Pacific Standard Time: Deadline for online submission of application, recommendations, and supporting documents.
- April 15, 2023: Notification of decisions emailed to all applicants. AAUW is not able to honor requests for earlier notification.
- July 1, 2023–June 30, 2024: Fellowship year
When a date falls on a weekend or holiday, the date will be observed on the following business day.
- Host: American Association of University Women (AAUW)
- Study Abroad: Study in USA | Study in Canada | Study in UK | Study in Europe | Study in Asia | Study in Australia | Study in Africa
- Category: Undergraduate Scholarships | Postgraduate Scholarships | Masters Scholarships | PhD Scholarships | Post-Doc| Fellowships
- Eligible Countries: All Countries (Except US)
- Reward: $20,000 – $50,000 | Stipends | Accommodation | Dependant Allowance
- Deadline: November 15, 2023
- Scholarship Alerts: To receive Scholarship Alerts on WhatsApp, Click HERE
The AAUW International Fellowship is a highly competitive scholarship that provides women with the financial support and resources they need to pursue their academic and professional goals. If you are a female student looking to pursue an undergraduate or postgraduate degree in any field of study, we highly recommend that you apply for this fellowship. With the information provided in this article, we are confident that you can successfully apply for the AAUW International Fellowship and achieve your academic goals.