Newmont Mining Corporation is a leading global gold producer with significant assets in Nevada, Peru, Australia, Ghana, and Suriname.
Newmont’s Africa Operations encompasses two gold mining operations in Ghana: the Ahafo Mine located in the Brong-Ahafo region and the Akyem Mine situated in the Eastern region. In Ghana, there is also a focus on near-mine exploration and development to replace gold reserves annually. Newmont Africa is also engaged in early-stage exploration programs in African countries such as Ethiopia and Morocco.
Our Africa operations employ approximately 5,900 employees and contractors, with the majority working at the Ahafo Mine. We offer a unique blend of career opportunities with all the benefits you would expect from a global company. This, combined with our growth opportunities, makes Newmont an excellent company to work for.
Our Akyem and Ahafo mines have made significant sustainable community development investments in our host communities. This includes establishing Development Funds at our Akyem and Ahafo operational areas, with each mine contributing US$1 per ounce of gold sold and 1% of net pre-tax annual profit into its community development fund.
As the only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index, Newmont became the first gold company to be selected for the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index in 2007. The exceptional performance of Newmont’s Africa operations reflects our high standards in environmental management, workforce health and safety, and creating value and opportunities for our employees, host communities, and Newmont’s shareholders.
About This Role
- Conduct in-house laboratory analysis.
- Undertake surface and groundwater-related monitoring activities, including field parameters.
- Conduct and document daily calibration of field sampling equipment.
- Inspect monitoring sites and report findings to the supervisor.
- Conduct an inventory of laboratory reagents and meters and report to the supervisor.
- Assist in measuring rainfall data and downloading weather station data for input.
- Undertake air quality monitoring of PM2.5, PM10, TSP, and other related gases (e.g., NOX, SOX, CO, etc.).
- Monitor blasting activities on-site and report the calibration due date of blast and noise monitoring equipment to the supervisor.
- Monitor day and night noise as scheduled with the assistance of the supervisor.
- Assist in the operation, monitoring, and discharge of ECDs, WSF, and in-pit sumps.
- Assist with ecological management of water bodies.
- Operate the pump hoist rig for groundwater monitoring.
- Operate the Integrated Waste Management Facility and waste trench to ensure waste is stored correctly, treated, and disposed of according to NGRL policy.
- Operate incinerator, compost, and other waste equipment.
- Inspect and receive hazardous and non-hazardous waste to comply with standards and regulations.
- Provide an inventory of waste received at the waste facilities to the supervisor.
- Maintain data and basic records of waste at the waste management facilities.
- Collect waste samples for laboratory analysis.
- Assist in slope stabilization and revegetation of disturbed land.
- Assist in the placement and installation of sediment control Best Management Practices (BMPs) and conduct corrective actions on areas demonstrating a tendency for erosion.
- Perform maintenance activities in the established nursery to support the revegetation of reclamation areas.
- Assist in the maintenance of reclaimed areas to achieve success criteria.
- Operate Hydroseeder equipment according to procedures applicable to a given soil type or slope angle.
- Collect monitoring data related to revegetation dynamics, soil characteristics, and optimization of plant growth.
General Environmental Management
- Participate in Environmental inspections, audits, and drills.
- Participate in Environmental data tracking and verification processes.
- Report all incidents and accidents in the workgroup to enable management to identify areas for improvement in work practices.
- Demonstrate leadership in safety and adhere to Newmont Africa Health and Safety policies and procedures, including Safety inspections, Safety Training, Annual Refresher, Safety Interactions, Incident Reporting and Investigation, etc.
- Present information accurately at safety/environment meetings.
The position is located at the Akyem mine site.
The incumbent will come into contact with hazardous elements from waste disposed of at the waste facilities and chemicals from the laboratory. Biological and chemical hazards (conditions) have been identified, and measures put in place either to eliminate or mitigate.
The incumbent will mainly be a field worker conducting environmental monitoring, concurrent reclamation works, and waste management activities.
Your Training, Skills, and Experience Checklist
Formal Qualification (including Professional Registrations):
- Diploma in Chemistry, Natural Resources Management, or Environmental Science, Engineering-related fields.
- Minimum of 3 years of environmental experience working in mining or related industrial operations.
- Interpersonal skills (interacting with diverse functional and cultural backgrounds).
- Communication (written and verbal) skills.
- Reporting skills.
- Computer literacy skills – MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook).
Click here to join our social media platforms for new updates
- Act professional
- Company: Newmont Mining Corporation
- Location: Ghana
- State: Ghana(Africa)
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Engineering Jobs in Ghana
Method of Application
Closing Date: 30th October, 2023