The Google News Initiative (GNI) Student Fellowship provides an opportunity to gain hands–on experience in a newsroom for eight weeks during the summer of 2023. This program offers individuals a chance to work with a participating newsroom and gain valuable experience in the industry.
Student Fellows may be assigned to research and write stories, contribute to open source data projects, create digital products, or work on other innovative projects that newsrooms have in progress, depending on the specific requirements of each newsroom.
More scholarship opportunities are ongoing in countries across the world. Check out some selected opportunities below;
Google News Initiative (GNI) Student Fellowship Details:
The GNI Student Fellowship program is launching with an online bootcamp that will enable the Student Fellows to get acquainted, create a network, and participate in career–boosting workshops from professionals in the field. This year, the organizers are doubling their efforts to raise Diversity, Equity and Inclusion within the program.
It is aimed at students and recent graduates who can apply to become Student Fellows at one of the participating newsrooms. Selected Student Fellows will work at one of the newsrooms for eight weeks during the summer of 2023 and will be compensated for their work.
Click here to join our social media platforms for new updates
Google News Initiative (GNI) Student Fellowship Requirements:
To be considered for the fellowship, you must:
- You are 18 years or older.
- You are enrolled in or recently graduated (in 2020, 2021, or 2022) from an accredited education program. This includes:
- Master, Ph.D. or bachelor students/graduates
- Students/graduates pursuing or in possession of a technical certificate.
- Students/graduates pursuing or in possession of a professional certificate.
- Students/graduates of another accredited form of education in a relevant field, such as an apprenticeship or vocational training.
- You are from the country where the newsroom is based OR you are living and/or studying in the country where the newsroom is based. Students enrolled in Austria, Germany or Switzerland can apply for any of the newsrooms based in these three countries.
- You are legally allowed to work full-time in the country where the newsroom is based.
- They accept both full-time and part-time students.
Google News Initiative (GNI) Student Fellowship Duration and Reward
- By applying, you get the chance to become a Student Fellow in 2023! If you are selected, you will get the unique opportunity to learn what it is like to work for a European newsroom.
- Student Fellows are paid by their newsroom for eight weeks of full-time work. The minimum amount will be €2,500; the exact amount will be at the discretion of the newsroom.
- At the beginning of their Fellowship, students will be invited to attend a bootcamp designed to give them the tools they need to get the most out of their experience. During the bootcamp, they will have the chance to attend workshops that will be beneficial to their development and network with other Fellows.
- The European Journalism Centre will monitor the progress of their Student Fellows throughout the Fellowship, offering guidance, training, and advice as needed. They will also be available to check in and discuss any progress or needs that the Fellows may have.
Google News Initiative (GNI) Student Fellowship Required Documents
To apply, candidates must be ready to submit the following documents;
- Work samples
Method of Application
If you apply to UBC by January 15, you will be automatically considered for the IMES.
You will be considered for this scholarship shortly after you receive an offer of admission to UBC. Scholarship decisions are made between mid-March to the end of April each year.
CLICK HERE TO APPLY
Deadline: April 21, 2023
- Host: Google Inc.
- Category: Training | Fellowships
- Eligible Countries: All African Countries
- Reward: €2,500 Salary | Training
- Deadline: April 21, 2023
- Scholarship Alerts: To receive Scholarship Alerts on WhatsApp, Click HERE